Click to Home

Go To Search
HomeEmailPrintRSSFacebookTwitter
Emergency Alerts Inactive
525 San Anselmo Avenue
San Anselmo, CA 94960
Ph: (415) 258-4600
Fx: (415) 459-2477
History
Library Timeline
Photo of 1915 Carnegie Library
San Anselmo Library - Circa 1915
A Short History of the San Anselmo Public Library, an Original Carnegie Library:
  • 1912 – San Anselmo Women’s Improvement Club set out to provide San Anselmo with a library.
  • 1914 – San Anselmo secured Carnegie grant of $10,000, one of 142 grants in California and the last of three communities in Marin County to obtain one. Library Board established.
  • 1915 – San Anselmo Public Library opened; W. Garden Mitchell, architect; Bessie L. Wise appointed as librarian.
  • 1919 – Alice Kirchman appointed as librarian.
  • 1920 – Annie Belle Meagor appointed as librarian.
  • 1930 – Martha S. Adams appointed as librarian.
  • 1933 – Christine Coolidge appointed as librarian.
  • 1935 – Virginia Richwagen Stewart appointed as librarian.
  • 1940 – There was 3 feet of water in the basement of the library when San Anselmo Creek overflowed its banks. Little damage reported.
  • 1941 – It was impractical to keep the library open with the blackouts during WWII. As a temporary measure, the library opened at 10:00 in the morning and was kept open until 5:30 in the evening. As the war progressed, the library was much less used as people did not like to be caught away from home in a blackout.
  • 1960 – The Library was remodeled for an estimated $45,400. The original rectangle was squared with an addition to the rear.
  • 1968 – Lucy Palo appointed as librarian.
  • 1975 – Friends of the San Anselmo Library formed for the purpose of extending and improving library services and resources.
  • 1978 – Marcia Keller appointed as librarian.
  • 1982 - The flood of 1982 severely damaged the building. There was 5 feet of water and mud in the basement, and 4,000 books were destroyed. Waterlogged magazines were hung on clotheslines to dry by the over 40 volunteers who worked more than a week. Cost of damage: $25,000.
  • 1982 – Ann Golden appointed as librarian.
  • 1986 – Eliza Wingate appointed as librarian.
  • 1990 – Heather Lamb and Barbara Jacobs appointed as librarians.
  • 1995 – Library "under construction" for seismic retrofitting and remodeling.
  • 1997 – Library Grand Opening after remodeling. Cost: $500,000.
  • 1997 – Sara Loyster appointed as librarian.
  • 2005 – The building was again severely damaged by flood waters.
  • 2010 -  Linda Kenton appointed as librarian.
  • 2015 -  Library celebrates centennial.