New Organic Waste Program
Get two EXTRA Compost bins for free? Why not!
For the past several years, Marin Sanitary Service (MSS) has worked hard to increase routing efficiencies while maintaining safety of our drivers. Our drivers continue to suffer injuries on our organics routes due to manually lifting customer owned cans. Many of these are young drivers. For this reason, MSS in collaboration with the Town, will transition to all fully automated vehicles which will allow MSS tipper carts to be emptied by a mechanical arm instead of the driver. This will prevent the driver from being injured due to repetitive lifting of carts and owner cans and will increase the efficiency of collection of MSS tipper carts.
On November, 26th, 2019, the San Anselmo council voted to amend the contract to change the organics waste policy. The new contract will provide San Anselmo residential customers with the following:
- MSS will deliver compost for the community to collect at no cost three times per year. The location will be determined by the Town.
- Two Chipper Days will allow for residential customers to clear their properties of vegetation that could fuel fires twice per year at no cost.
- From January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2020, customers have the option to receive up to two (2) additional 64-gallon MSS carts (for a total of three carts) for the collection of organic material (food scraps/yard waste) as part of the monthly billed service bundle.
- Beginning January 1, 2021, the above option expires, and customers may only request one (1) additional 64-gallon MSS cart (for a total of two carts) for the collection of organic material as part of the monthly billed service bundle.
- Customers may rent up to four (4) additional 64-gallon MSS wheeled tipper carts for the collection of organic material for a nominal monthly fee.
- In addition, customers may rent a temporary debris box for yard debris at a discounted rate.
- Effective January 1, 2021, only MSS wheeled tipper carts may be used for the collection of organic material.
Transition Period January 1, 2020-December 31, 2020
What does this mean for me?
- During the year, drivers will be leaving cart hangers on owner cans used for additional yard waste with information on the new organics program.
- You will have one year to request to add two MSS tipper carts to your service bundle for one monthly fee.
- If you are currently renting an additional cart or two, you will see these rental fees removed from your bill.
- You can continue to use your own cans during the twice annual scheduled curbside collections to set out additional yard waste.
All food scraps and yard waste collected by MSS is delivered to the WM Earth Care compost facility in Novato to produce certified organic compost. Your participation in this successful program has diverted thousands of tons from Redwood Landfill and contributed to a dramatic reduction in greenhouses gas emissions. Thank you for your cooperation and for helping to keep our drivers safe as they work to provide this service. Please call our office at (415) 456-2601 if you have any additional questions.
San Anselmo residents located within Incorporated San Anselmo.
As a San Anselmo resident, you have the option to receive up to two (2) additional 64-gallon green compostables tipper carts (in addition to the one you already have for a total of three) at no additional cost as a part of your monthly service bundle.
Request Deadline is December 31, 2020
If you don’t know if your address is Incorporated or Unincorporated San Anselmo, please check the link to Marinmaps.Org.
Here is a link with instructions for Marin Maps.
Effective January 2, 2021, customer owned yard waste cans will not be emptied.
Request your cart(s) today by calling Marin Sanitary Service: (415) 456-2601