Forms and Permits

A permit (click here to apply) is required to plant a tree in, upon, or along any public street, sidewalk, or walkway. Additionally, a permit is required to remove or significantly prune any heritage tree, any tree on undeveloped property and any street tree. 

A heritage tree is defined as a tree with a diameter at breast height (DBH = 4.5 feet above grade) of 22 inches. A permit is required to remove any tree on undeveloped property with a DBH of 7 inches. Pruning is defined as, and limited to, removal of less than 25% of the tree's foliage. An arborist’s report and photograph of the tree(s), as well as a Tree Supplemental Questionnaire are required prior to this application being complete. Application must include at least one photo showing the context of the tree or application may be deemed incomplete. 

If the tree is healthy, a 10-day notice will have to be sent to the adjacent neighbors in a 300-foot radius. If the tree can be verified by an arborist report to be dead, dying or dangerous, the Town can typically approve such permits immediately.

A replacement tree will most likely be required on a 1-to-1 bases. You can consult the links below for a list of acceptable replacement trees:

Tree Replacement Criteria List

PG&E Guide to Small Trees

NOTE: Acacia, Eucalyptus, Plum, Privet and Monterey Pine trees are considered nuisance trees and do not require a permit to remove. (S.A.M.C. Sections 4-9 & 4-13)

Fire Safety Tips:

Fuel reduction does not typically require whole tree removal. To prevent the spread of fire, removing ladder fuels below the tree, such as bushes, dry grass, etc., and limbing the tree up from the ground is all that is needed.

Road Work and Encroachment in the Public Right-of-Way

An encroachment permit (click here to apply) is needed when you are doing work in the Town's public right of way. For structures in the public right of way, a revocable encroachment agreement must be completed, notarized and recorded with the County.

Curb, Gutter and Driveway Standards - This document includes information for curb, gutter and driveway repair. For all other county standards please see the county web site. (Click Here)

Trench Restoration - This handout shows the uniform standards for trench restoration after a street cut.

Non-Maintained Road Paving Assistance - This packet includes information for residents who live on non-maintained streets who would like to receive Town assistance with road paving.

Non-Maintained Drainage Projects - This packet includes information for residents who would like to receive Town assistance with drainage projects on non-maintained roads or on private property.

Grading, Bio-retention, and Storm Water Management

A grading permit (click here to apply) is necessary when excavating or hauling dirt on your property. An Erosion and Sediment Control Plan is needed in conjunction with all grading permits.

Bioretention - This handout shows how to incorporate bioretention into your projects.

Erosion and Sediment Control - This handout is a general overview of erosion control measures that must be taken by October 15 and shall be maintained and modified to remain effective throughout the rainy season, which ends April 15.

Homeowner's Guide to Stormwater Management - This document is a general guideline to help homeowners understand storm water management practices and how to incorporate bioretention into there home projects. We would like to hear your feed back should you have any questions or concerns regarding this document by email.

Watercourse Permit - This permit is required for any work near or in a creek, usually in conjunction with other permits from the Town or State and Federal agencies.


A separate permit (click here to apply) review by Public Works is required for the installation of any fence, privacy wall and/or solid opaque screen planting located within 20 feet of the front property line or within 12 feet of a street side yard property line fronting a street and if it is 6 feet or higher. 

San Anselmo Municipal Code link here (10-3.402 table 4B footnote 3). 

See Fence Permit Diagram for more info.