Municipal Election Information:

The Town of San Anselmo contracts with the Marin County Clerk-Recorder-Assessor to conduct the Town's general municipal elections. The five members of the San Anselmo Town Council are elected to four year terms. Elections occur in November of odd-numbered years and the terms are staggered so that no more than three Town Council seats are up for election at any one time. Information on running for election in San Anselmo is available by contacting the Town Clerk's office. New Council members are sworn in at the first regular meeting after election results are available for canvas, which is usually the December meeting.

Document vote (1).png

Register to vote:  

Voters can register online or fill out and mail a voter registration form. Not sure if you are registered to vote? Check the status of your registration by calling the registrar's 24-hour phone line at 415-473-6456 or you can also call 415-473-6448 between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. weekdays.

You can also check the status of your voter registration on the County of Marin website:  County of Marin website

How to Run for Office

You must be a registered San Anselmo Voter at the time nomination papers are issued, to be eligible to run for office. You can register or confirm that you are registered by contacting the Marin County Elections Office:  https://www.marincounty.org/depts/rv


The next nomination period for Town offices will take place in the summer of 2024.

The FPPC (Fair Political Practices Commission) mandates the campaign filing requirements for local candidates. The Town Clerk serves as the filing officer for local campaign disclosure statements. Candidates are required to disclose certain economic interests, and must file periodic campaign reports. Failure to file appropriate statements and reports can result in criminal, civil, or administrative penalties. Failure to file within prescribed deadlines can also lead to monetary penalties for each day a statement is late. The appropriate forms will be provided to candidates by the Town Clerk. 

  1. Candidate Intention Statement (Form 501)
     A candidate for local office must file this form prior to solicitation or receipt of any contribution or expenditure of any personal funds used for the election. The form is filed with the Town Clerk.
  2. Statement of Organization Recipient Committee (Form 410)
     A candidate who raises contributions from others totaling $2,000 or more during a calendar year must file an original Form 410 with the Secretary of State to disclose campaign bank account information and to receive a campaign committee identification number. A copy of the form is filed with the Town Clerk.
  3. Recipient Committee Campaign Statement (Form 460)
     A candidate who has a controlled committee, or who has raised or spent or will raise or spend $2,000 or more during a calendar year in connection with an election to office, will be required to file this form periodically prior to and following the election.
  4. Campaign Statement – Short Form (Form 470)
    Candidates who do not intend to raise or spend $2,000 in a calendar year in conjunction with their candidacy will file a Form 470 with the Town Clerk.
  5. Statement of Economic Interests (Form 700)
    Candidates are required to file a Form 700 disclosing all reportable investments, interests in real property and income. Please be aware that all statements, and information submitted in conjunction with the statements, are a matter of public record and available for review by any requester.

Register to vote:

Please visit the Marin County Elections website for more information:  https://www.marincounty.org/depts/rv. Hard copies of the voter registration forms are available at Town Hall.

Candidate Resources:

Limitations and Restrictions on Gifts, Honoraria, Travel and Loans
FPPC Manual 2 – Local Candidates
Email Advice from FPPC  or Phone: 1-866-275-3772

The FPPC also offers a useful Candidate Toolkit .