Information for All Businesses

Business License Requirements

All businesses need a Town of San Anselmo Business License. The license must be renewed every year. The annual fee varies for the type of business.

In 2022 the Town began contracting with the HdL Companies to provide assistance to our business community for all of their business license tax needs. The HdL Support Center provides the Town's business community with support for all aspects including:

  • Applications
  • Payments
  • Certificate Issuance
  • General support for your business needs

The Town no longer provides this support or receives payments at Town Hall.  Please contact HdL directly if you have questions:
Phone: 415/472-9430 (Monday-Friday 8am-5pm PST) or
Mail:  Town of San Anselmo, Business Support Center, 8839 N Cedar Avenue #212, Fresno, CA  93720

Business License Application Forms

Business License Regulations

Fictitious Business Name Statement

A Fictitious Business Name (FBN) or Doing Business As (DBA) statement is required from the Marin County Clerk's office when your business name does not include the surname of the individual owner(s) and each of the partners; or the business name suggests the existence of additional owners; or the nature of the business in not clearly evident by the name of the business. For example Bill Smith and Sons Plumbing would require a FBN because the name implies additional owners, Bill Smith Plumbing does not require a FBN. Bill Smith Industries would require a FBN because it does not identify the nature of the business.   


The State Board of Equalization (BOE) issues seller’s permits and is responsible for the administration and collection of the State’s sales and use, fuel, alcohol, tobacco, and other special taxes and fees. Forms and additional information are available at the State Board of Equalization.

The Employment Development Department (EDD) issues state employer identification numbers (SEIN) and administers California’s payroll taxes, including unemployment insurance, employment training tax, state disability insurance and California personal income tax withholding.

California Franchise Tax Board information on starting a business.

You may need a Tax ID number from the Internal Revenue Service. For information on Tax ID numbers, payroll taxes, and other tax information for starting and operating a business, visit the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) website for starting a business.

Visit the California Small Business Assistance Center for information on State taxes that may apply to your business.  

Business Entities

You may choose to conduct a business as a sole proprietorship, corporation, partnership, or a limited liability company. You should consult with a legal representative and accountant before making any determination as to the type of business entity to form. For more information on each type of business entity, visit the California Business Portal section of the Secretary of State’s website. Unless you conduct your business as a sole proprietorship, you must file papers with the Secretary of State’s office Business Programs Division 916-657-5448.

The California Secretary of State Business Entities Section of the Secretary of State’s office processes filings, maintains records and provides information to the public relating to business entities (corporations, limited liability companies, limited partnerships, general partnerships, limited liability partnerships and other business filings).