San Francisco Blvd Improvements
PEDESTRIAN SAFETY TIPS
With the introduction of mini roundabouts on San Francisco Blvd, there have been many questions about crosswalk laws in general. The offset crosswalks at the roundabout are the intersection’s marked crosswalks and crossing is not permitted through the middle of roundabout intersections.
- Use the sidewalks provided around the perimeter of the roundabouts.
- After deciding to cross, approach the marked crossing, make eye contact with the driver and wait for vehicles to yield.
We want to take an extra minute to remind our community of the laws that pertain to crosswalks in general. We are dedicated to making our city a safe place to walk, ride and drive, and we need your help to accomplish that mission.
Below are laws related to pedestrians as listed in the 2019 California Vehicle Code. The information is a good reminder that both drivers and pedestrians have responsibilities and need to pay careful attention.
21950 VC - Right-of-Way at Crosswalks
(a) The driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection, except as otherwise provided in this chapter.
(b) This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.
(c) The driver of a vehicle approaching a pedestrian within any marked or unmarked crosswalk shall exercise all due care and shall reduce the speed of the vehicle or take any other action relating to the operation of the vehicle as necessary to safeguard the safety of the pedestrian.
(d) Subdivision (b) does not relieve a driver of a vehicle from the duty of exercising due care for the safety of any pedestrian within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection.
21951 VC - Vehicles Stopped for Pedestrians
Whenever any vehicle has stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.
21954 VC - Pedestrians Outside Crosswalks
(a) Every pedestrian upon a roadway at any point other than within a marked crosswalk or within an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles upon the roadway so near as to constitute an immediate hazard.
(b) The provisions of this section shall not relieve the driver of a vehicle from the duty to exercise due care for the safety of any pedestrian upon a roadway.
21955 VC - Crossing Between Controlled Intersections
Between adjacent intersections controlled by traffic control signal devices or by police officers, pedestrians shall not cross the roadway at any place except in a crosswalk.
21456 VC - Walk, Wait, or Don't Walk
Whenever a pedestrian control signal showing the words "WALK" or "WAIT" or "DON’T WALK" or other approved symbol is in place, the signal shall indicate as follows:
(a) "WALK" or approved "Walking Person" symbol. A pedestrian facing the signal may proceed across the roadway in the direction of the signal, but shall yield the right-of-way to vehicles lawfully within the intersection at the time that signal is first shown.
(b) Flashing or steady "DON’T WALK" or "WAIT" or approved "Upraised Hand" symbol. No pedestrian shall start to cross the roadway in the direction of the signal, but any pedestrian who has partially completed crossing shall proceed to a sidewalk or safety zone or otherwise leave the roadway while the "WAIT" or "DON’T WALK" or approved "Upraised Hand" symbol is showing.
If you drive a vehicle, take a few extra seconds and allow pedestrians to safely cross the street.
If you are a pedestrian, do your part and pay attention to the traffic. If in doubt just wait, and cross when safe.
Click on the banner below for additional safety tips:
Please take some time to read through the following instructions on the use of roundabouts.
USING THE MINI ROUNDABOUTS
- Approach. Slow down on approach to the roundabout
and yield to pedestrians that may be present at or in the
- Enter. At the entry line, yield to any vehicles already in the roundabout then enter when there is a suitable gap in traffic.
- Proceed. Continue around the center island in a counterclockwise direction and do not stop in the
- Exit. Upon coming to correct exit, signal and proceed out of the roundabout. Yield to any pedestrians at or in
- Bicyclists may ride in the roadway through the roundabout, obeying the same rules of the road as motor
vehicles, or proceed along a side path and cross at the marked pedestrian crosswalks.
- Use the sidewalks or side paths provided around the perimeter of the roundabout. After deciding to
cross, approach the marked crossing, make eye contact with the driver and wait for vehicles to yield.
San Francisco Boulevard Pavement Rehabilitation and Demonstration Project Incorporating Traffic Calming, Pedestrian Safety Improvements and Bio-retention
San Francisco Boulevard is a major collector road that provides access to local streets, Memorial Park, Sorich Park, and even an alternate route Brookside Elementary, Hidden Valley, and San Domenico. With the neighborhoods, it serves, along with the park, open space and schools comes many modes of transportation and use including biking, walking, hiking, kids playing, residents with special needs and last but not least motorists. All of these elements combined necessitate the need for a Complete Streets approach as part of the pavement restoration that is long overdue and it is why the Town has a Complete Streets Resolution.
Construction was rescheduled for Spring 2019.
Pavement rehabilitation work will take place from Friday, April 22, 2019 to Friday, May 24, 2019.
- Email Notification 5/20/19 - Detour Update
- Email Notification 5/20/19 - Road Closure Update
- Email Notification 5/19/19 - Schedule Update
- Road Closure Notification 5/17/19
- Email Notification 5/16/19 - Road Closure Schedule Update!
- Email Notification 05/14/19 - Updated Schedule!
- Email Notification 05/14/19
- Email Notification for 05/14/19 - Road Closures
- Road Work Notification - 05/09/19
- Email Notification 05/09/19
- Email Notification 05/06/19
- Road Closure Notification - 05/02/19
- Group Email Notification 3 - 04/30/19
- Construction Details Update 04/19/19
- Group Email Notification -2 - 04/16/2019
- Group Email Notification - 1 - 04/09/2019
- Construction Details Update 04/04/2019
- Construction Notice 1/26/19
- D&D Construction Notification 10/9/18
- Construction and Parking Notification 08/08/18
- Town Council 6/26/18 meeting to award the project
- 1/26/18 Resident Notification